License under section 8 for new companies – One Person Company Registration
License under section 8 for new companies with charitable objects etc.
1)A person or an association of persons (hereinafter referred to in this rule as “the proposed company”), desirous of incorporating a company with limited liability under sub-section (1) of section 8 without the addition to its name of the word “Limited”, or as the case may be, the words “Private Limited”, shall make an application in Form No.. INC. 12 along with the fee as provided in the Companies (Registration offices and fees) Rules, 2014 to the Registrar for a license under sub-section (1) of section 8.
2) The memorandum of association of the proposed company shall be in Form No.INC. 13
3) The application under sub-rule (1) shall be accompanied by the following documents, namely:-
- The draft memorandum and articles of association of the proposed company;
- The declaration in Form No. INC. 14 by an Advocate, a Chartered Accountant, Cost Accountant or Company Secretary in practice, that the draft memorandum and articles of association have been drawn up in conformity with the provisions of section 8 and rules made there under and that all the requirements of the Act and the rules made there under relating to registration of the company under section 8 and matters incidental or supplemental thereto have been complied with;
- An estimate of the future annual income and expenditure of the company for next three years, specifying the sources of the income and the objects of the expenditure;
- The declaration by each of the persons making the application in Form No.INC.15
License for existing companies
A limited company registered under this Act or under any previous company law, with any of the objects specified in clause (a) of sub-section (1) of section 8 and the restrictions and prohibitions as mentioned respectively in clause (b) and (c) of that sub-section, and which is desirous of being registered under section 8, without the addition to its name of the word “Limited” or as the case may be, the words “Private Limited”, shall make an application in Form No. INC. 12 along with the fee as provided in the Companies (Registration offices and fees) Rules, 2014 to the Registrar for a licence under sub-section (5) of section 8.
The application under sub-rule (1), shall be accompanied by the following documents, namely-
a) The memorandum and articles of association of the company;
b) The declaration as given in Form No. INC. 14 by an Advocate, a Chartered accountant, Cost Accountant or Company Secretary in Practice, that the memorandum and articles of association have been drawn up in conformity with the provisions of section 8 and rules made there under and that all the requirements of the indirectly by way of dividend or bonus or otherwise to persons who are or have been members of the company or to any one or more of them or to any persons claiming through any one or more of them.
5) Where the company has obtained any special status, privilege, exemption, benefit or grant(s) from any authority such as Income Tax Department, Charity Commissioner or any organisation or Department of Central Government, State Government, Municipal Body or any recognized authority, a “No Objection Certificate” must be obtained, if required under the terms of the said special status, privilege, exemption, benefit or grant(s) from the concerned authority and filed with the Regional Director, along with the application.
6) The company should have filed all its financial statements and Annual Returns up to the financial year preceding the submission of the application to the Regional Director and all other returns required to be filed under the Act up to the date of submitting the application to the Regional Director and in the event the application is made after the expiry of three months from the date of preceding financial year to which the financial statement has been filed, a statement of the financial position duly certified by chartered accountant made up to a date not preceding thirty days of filing the application shall be attached.
7) The company shall attach with the application a certificate from practicing Chartered Accountant or Company Secretary in practice or Cost Accountant in practice certifying that the conditions laid down in the Act and these rules relating to conversion of a company registered under section 8 into any other kind of company, have been complied with.
8) The Regional Director may require the applicant to furnish the approval or concurrence of any particular authority for grant of his approval for the conversion and he may also obtain the report from the Registrar.
9) On receipt of the application, and on being satisfied the Regional Director shall issue an order approving the conversion of the company into a company of any other kind subject to such terms and conditions as may be imposed in the facts and circumstances of each case including the following conditions, namely:-
- the company shall give up and shall not claim, with effect from the date its conversion takes effect, any special status, exemptions or privileges that it enjoyed by virtue of having been registered under the provisions of section 8;
- if the company had acquired any immovable property free of cost or at a concessional cost from any government or authority, it may be required to pay the difference between the cost at which it acquired such property and the market price of such property at the time of conversion either to the government or to the authority that provided the immovable property;
- any accumulated profit or underutilized income of the company brought forward from previous years shall be first utilized to settle all outstanding statutory dues, amounts due to lenders claims of creditors, suppliers, service providers and others including employees and lastly any loans advanced by the promoters or members or any other amounts due to them and the balance, if any, shall be transferred to the Investor Education and Protection Fund within thirty days of receiving the approval for conversion;
10) Before imposing the conditions or rejecting the application, the company shall be given a reasonable opportunity of being heard by the Regional Director.
11) On receipt of the approval of the Regional Director,
- the company shall convene a general meeting of its members to pass a special resolution for amending its memorandum of association and articles of association as required under the Act consequent to the conversion of the section 8 company into a company of any other kind;
The Company shall thereafter file with the Registrar-
- A certified copy of the approval of the Regional Director within thirty days from the date of receipt of the order in Form No. INC. 20 along with the fee;
- Amended memorandum of association and articles of association of the company;
- A declaration by the directors that the conditions, if any imposed by the Regional Director have been fully complied with.
(12) On receipt of the documents referred to in sub-rule (10) above, the Registrar shall register the documents and issue the fresh Certificate of Incorporation.